There are many muslims around the world facing difficulty in waking up for the Fajr prayer. So what is the remedy for this problem?
Basically there are two remedial steps to this problem. The first step is to aquire the knowledge about the importance of Fajr prayer and the second one is the practical step which helps in waking up for Fajr prayer.
The first step (to acquire knowledge):
It is an obligatory duty of every Muslim to know the Glory and importance of the Fajr Prayer. There is a Hadeeth of the beloved Prophet Mohammed Peace be upon him about the virtues and importance of the Fajr prayer:
1) “Prayer said in a congregation is twenty-five degrees more excellent than prayer said by a single person.” In the Quran itself, Allah calls the Quran recitation in prayer at the time of Fajr, a recitation that “is witnessed”:
“Establish regular prayers – at the sun’s decline till the darkness of the night, and the morning prayer and reading: for the prayer and reading in the morning carry their testimony.” [17:78]
The meaning of witnessed here means that both the angels of [previous] night and the angels of the [new] morning intently listen to the Fajr prayer being recited aloud because of its great status and virtue. [al-Suyuti, Tafsir al Jalalayn]
2) Allah’s messenger PBUH said: “The prayer in congregation is twenty seven times superior to the prayer offered by person alone.” [Bukhari:645, Muslim:650]
3) The prophet peace be upon him said: “The two rak’ahs at dawn are better than this world and what it contains.” (Muslim:725)
4) Messenger of Allah SWT said: “He who observed the Isha prayer in congregation, it was as if he prayed up to midnight, and he who prayed the morning prayer in congregation, it was as if he prayed the whole nigh. (Muslim:656)
5) Messenger of Allah SWT said: “He who observed two prayers at two cool hours (Fajr and Asr) would enter Paradise.” (Bukhari:574, Muslim:635)
6) Messenger of Allah SWT said: “He who prayed the morning prayer (in congregation), he is in fact under the protection of Allah.” (Muslim:657)
7) Messenger of Allah SWT said: “He who observes prayer before the rising of the sun and it setting, i.e. the dawn prayer (Fajr) and the afternoon prayer (Asr), would not enter the (Hell) fire.” (Muslim:634)
Practical steps (which helps in waking up for Fajr)
1. One should start sleeping early so that they do not have any difficulty in waking up for Fajr prayers.
2. Make lot of dua (supplications) that Allah SWT would help you wake up for Fajr.
3. Perform wudoo before going to sleep. A hadeeth was narrated to this effect, in which the prophet Mohammed PBUH said: “When you go to bed, perform ablution (wudoo) as is done for prayer. (Bukhari:247, Muslim:2710)
4) Read Adhkar before going to sleep.
You can find these Adkhar (the supplication) going to sleep in the book “The Fortress of Muslim.”
5) Having a sincere intention (Niyyah) and firm determination.
One of the important reasons that can help you wake up for Fajr is having a good intention and being determined. If you are honest with Allah regarding waking up for Fajr, Allah would definitely help you. Filling the heart with the love for Fajr and the fear of missing it.
6) Setting alarms for Fajr (on phones, mobiles and clocks)
Setting multiple alarms out of ones immediate reach You can be benefitted by the use of Adhan clock as well. If you know someone who can wakes up for Fajr, ask him to call you or pass by your house and knock on your door.
7) Eat less prior to bed.
Avoid full meal and always eat less before going to bed.
8) Avoid heavy workouts prior to bed.
Always avoid hard labour and tiring workout prior to sleep.
9) Be with the righteous and pious people.
Always be in the company of the righteous and pious people and seek their guidance.
10) Supplication after waking up.
After waking up for Fajr prayer, recite supplication of waking up immediately.
11) The last thing is abandoning all the SINS.
This story is enough to explain the point. A man said to al-Hasan al-Basri RA: “O Abu Saeed, I sleep in good health, and I love to pray qiyaam al-layl (Night prayer), and I prepare water with which to purify myself, so why I cant get up?” al-Hasn said: “The slave who commits a sin will be denied the opportunity to pray qiyaam at night and to fast during the day.”
Abandon all sins like:
a. Eating prohibited (haram) things.
d. Watching sexually based TV channels / movies / videos.
e. Browsing pornographic websites etc.
Courtesy: Tawheed Publications, Kolkata.